4 bbl., TBI, or TPI
Register To Post

Threaded | Newest First Previous Topic | Next Topic | Bottom
Poster Thread
JMorris
Posted on: 2006/12/23 20:31
Webmaster
4 bbl., TBI, or TPI
Ok, so you've got a hot ride that leaves black marks a block long on the pavement. Your running 0.60 over on the bore, aluminum heads, a beefy cam, you've ported and polished everything you can, and you're running a spark hot enough to scorch the nose of a dragon.

So, what are you feeding that monster?

Personally, I'm a bit of a tree hugger, so I'm a big fan of TPI. However, on race day, there's nothing quite like a big honkin', normally asperated, double pumper to launch your butt down the 1/4 mile.

So, what are you using? Are you a tree hugger like me? Are you a old school pounder running a huge Holly? Or, are you an "in the middle" maveric running one of those Hi-Po 4 bbl. TPI units? Why did you make the choice you did?

----------------

Olds4-4-2
Posted on: 2006/12/27 7:44
Just popping in
Re: 4 bbl., TBI, or TPI
Are you kidding? 4 Barrel!

----------------
4 Barrel
4 Speed
Dual Exhaust
One Helluva Good Time!

Jay
Posted on: 2007/1/4 22:47
Not too shy to talk
4brl is alot less hassle and expense. It seems runnin efi on old rod's is becoming all the rage tho. I think it depends on the rest of the car really.. If you roll up in a 65' fastback with stock suspension/brakes/ect. but have a 5.0 under the hood with a load of high tech goods an a blower.. that's kinda lame. If it has some swaybars, drop springs, urethane bushings, huge front/rear disc's, and a nice set of kicks then yea.. an up to date motor looks right at home.

Personally give me a 67' Z with a stock driveline but some suspension goods sittin on 17" wheels an im happy

----------------
Stupidity is NOT a crime ... Therefore you are free to go

JMorris
Posted on: 2007/1/4 23:10
Webmaster
I'm with you on this one. It's more about the total package and what your design goals are. For the classic ride I want to build, nothing but a 4 bbl will do, but for the sleeper, all around performer, TPI all the way.

----------------

BadBu
Posted on: 2007/5/16 3:12
Just popping in
Personally i have always been a fan of the Tunnel Ram not just for the shock and awe of a big hunk of chrome hanging out from the hood, but this thing performs like a BEAST is all i can say, works perfect with a nice 3200 stall and poof!! look out holeshot hahahaha.
JMorris
Posted on: 2007/5/25 22:15
Webmaster
I've got to admit that I'm a big fan of Ram Air Induction as well.

I saw a nice Olds at the Super Saturday show that had the Ram Air ducts under the front bumper. I didn't check to be sure, but it looked all stock. I've got a soft spot in my heart for those old Olds.

Here's the ride I'm talking about...

----------------

BadBu
Posted on: 2007/6/3 20:01
Just popping in
That is a sharp car for sure, my dad was always a Olds fan, my first car was a limited edition 77 Olds Cutlass"Dakotan" built for ND and SD winters which came in handy as i live in SD. nothin special took the old 350 out and put a nice 1970 455 in it, all stock as i was broke and in high school but sure was fun for what it was. I now have a nice fairly well built 1981 malibu with a aluminum headed 406 roller motor, tunnel ram and lots of other goodies. Been in a wheelchair from a motorcycle accident for 10 years now, and its fun to pull into the handicapped spots with it and have people stare at me until i unload my wheelchair from the backseat hahahahaha. Im easily amused apparently.
Brett B.
JMorris
Posted on: 2007/6/15 23:39
Webmaster
Brett,

LOL! That's great! Glad to see you've made the best out of what life has tossed your way.

I've always had a special place in my heart for Olds. If you couldn't tell by the 4-4-2 in the header.

My first Olds was a 1979 Cutlass Salon Brougham (Aeroback). The one that looked a bit like this. It had the 260 in³ Oldsmobile V8 in it. I think it had a 2bbl, but it's been so long ago that I don't remember. I paid $350 for it, I think. Second gear and reverse didn't work and the valve cover gasket leaked like crazy. Once caught fire on me. Thankfully, a nice Waffle House employee lent me a fire extinguisher to put out the fire before it was too late.

My second Olds was a 1984 Olds Delta 88 (4dr) with the 301 in³ and a vacuum assisted Quadrajunk on it. I paid $350 for that one as well. Dad and I yanked the vacuum setup and slapped on an old-school Quadrajunk on it. Ran better, but sucked gas like you wouldn't believe. Even had 2 accidents in that car and it was still quite drivable. That thing was a freakin' tank!

Neither of my Olds were muscle cars, by any stretch of the imagination, but they were cheep, drove like boats, and made one heck of a nice sound when you stomped on the accelerator. That was good enough for me at the time.

----------------

Threaded | Newest First Previous Topic | Next Topic |

Register To Post

/ Design by: MyWebResource VSS, LLC.