Lost Password? / Register now!

Main Menu

Bookmark It!

Sponsored Links

Random Muscle Cars

Cool Sites

Muscle Car Scene Forum Index
   Member's Area
     What is your definition of a Muscle Car?

Threaded | Newest First Previous Topic | Next Topic | Bottom
Poster Thread
JMorris
Posted on: 2006/12/26 17:37
Webmaster
What is your definition of a Muscle Car?
According to Wikipedia, Muscle Car is defined as follows:

Quote:
The term muscle car generally describes a mid-size car with a large, powerful engine (typically, although not universally, a V8 engine) and special trim, intended for maximum torque on the street or in drag racing competition. It is distinguished from sports cars, which were customarily and coincidentally considered smaller, two-seat cars, or GTs, two-seat or 2+2 cars intended for high-speed touring and possibly road racing. High-performance full-size or compact cars are arguably excluded from this category, as are the breed of compact sports coupes inspired by the Ford Mustang, the "pony car". Another factor used in defining a classic muscle cars is age and country of origin. A classic muscle car is usually but not necessarily made in the US or Australia between 1964 and 1975.

An alternate definition is based on power-to-weight ratio, defining a muscle car as an automobile with (for example) fewer than 12 pounds per rated hp. Such definitions are inexact, thanks to a wide variation in curb weight depending on options and to the questionable nature of the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) gross hp ratings in use before 1972, which were often deliberately overstated or underrated for various reasons.

Another alternate definition involves a car's original design intents. Muscle cars are factory produced automobiles that have a larger engine than was originally planned for in the design and production phase of the original car. Examples of this trend can be found throughout American, Japanese, and European cars of all designs. This includes many cars that typically are not labeled as muscle cars, such as the B13 & B15 (1991-2006) Nissan Sentra SE-R & Spec-V, and excludes other cars typically labeled as muscle cars, such as the Dodge Viper.

Do you agree/disagree? Do you have your own definition?

----------------

Olds4-4-2
Posted on: 2006/12/27 7:43
Just popping in
Re: What is your definition of a Muscle Car?
My definition:
Quote:

4 Barrel
4 Speed
Dual Exhaust
NO RICE BURNERS!

----------------
4 Barrel
4 Speed
Dual Exhaust
One Helluva Good Time!

Jay
Posted on: 2007/1/4 23:39
Not too shy to talk
A real muscle car should handle like crap, get terrible gas mileage, have brakes that take 100ft too long to stop, but have enough HP to turn tires into piles of smoldering rubber. Haha.

When I think of an American muscle car I think v8. Most ppl consider the 1st muscle car to be the 64' GTO. But now days alot of cars can be a muscle car.. What do you consider a 55' bel-aire with a big block?

When I think of a Japanese muscle car .. Supra!

----------------
Stupidity is NOT a crime ... Therefore you are free to go

70skylark
Posted on: 2007/11/20 17:52
Just popping in
IMO a muscle car is any american car with 2 doors and 250hp made between 1964-1973
examples: hemi charger,boss mustang,ZL1 camaro

commonly overlooked examples:1973 mustang mach1 351c,chevelle wagon, CJ ranchero squire, 1973 trans am SD455
those my fiends are muscle cars
Threaded | Newest First Previous Topic | Next Topic |

/ Design by: MyWebResource VSS, LLC.